Friday, November 25, 2011

Your choice: Ping G15 irons or G20

Ping is constantly upgrading and designing new ideas in their Golf Clubs, such as the “G” and “K” lines. Many players are curiously waiting for the next generation of the G15′s, the G20, because they are looking forward to improve their game. The G20 series are said to be introduced in August 2011 at the PGA Tour’s St. Jude Classic. But they are available now on the market. Do you think G20 Irons Will Surpass G15 Irons?
Similar and improvement:
1.They Have Similar Looks With G15 Irons But Still Different
As for looks, apparently they are very similar to the Ping G15 Irons, with a slightly darker red and more satin finish. The adjustable lie on the G20 is two degrees flatter than the G15′s. A more curved look to it than the G15′s with a new soft layer on the back to help with sound, feel and vibrations.
2.Thinner Face Will Add Forgiveness
The thinner face of the Ping G20 Irons helps position weight to the toe for added forgiveness. The wider sole provides a higher launch angle. Strong lofts and a low center of gravity produce long shots with a high trajectory and maximum forgiveness.
3.New Custom Tuning Port Expands Perimeter Weighting and Increases MOI
Ping G20 Irons features a new Custom Tuning Port which expands perimeter weighting and increases MOI. The steel shafts also look new, with more evenly spaced steps than the traditional AWT shafts, with a unique and interesting feel.
4.A Nice Cross Between The G15 and K15 Model
The Ping G20 Irons feature some added weight on the back end of the iron set that they stole from the tip/hosel section. It sits well and square, with a lower face height and sleeker look. It was described as a nice cross between the G15 and K15 model.
How I feel when I hit the G20 irons compared G15?
1.The G20′s are a pretty nive looking club up close IMO. The badge/CTP has some heft to it and seems to have more weight than the one on the G15.
2.The G20 felt noticably lighter than the my G15 irons. The shaft certainly felt lighter. The club was actually easier to swing as well.
3.The sole of the G20 was very close to the same size as the G15. At least I could not tell that much of a difference. If I had to lean one way, I would say it was a bit narrower.
4.I even did the fingernail test to see if the grooves were different and they seemed to be the same depth on both models.
5. Swinging the G20 was a breeze. I could tell the weight was certainly different and the club certainly launched the ball higher. Was hitting into a white net and could tell where the ball was hitting. I was consistently a little higher with the G20. Not too much, but I could tell.
6. Feel: I was actually surprised at how the G20 felt. I was one who was wondering how PING would improve on the G15. I certainly could tell the iron was softer when making contact with ball. Perhps this was due to the materinal used on the back of the club head that dappens vibration. Whatever it was, it worked. The club swing smoothly from front to back.
7. Distance: As I mentioned I could not tell, however the G15 still felt good to me and althought I hit the G20 a bit higher that may not translate into more distance. I have tried many irons and consistently hit my 8 iron right at 135 yards.
8. Advantage: I guess getting the ball up quicker and softer feel it goes to the new G20. Consistency, familairity and distance I would probably stick with my trusted G15′s. I will be going to another store this weekend to test these out on a monitor to check distances. If I hit the G20′s five yards longer I would prob stick with the 15′s. I just dont see me hitting them 10 yards longer. I will let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment